The Greatness Of Chipper Jones
Chipper Jones announced that his 2012 season would be his last. Like most Atlanta fans, he’s been my favorite Brave for a long time. And not just because he’s one of the greatest players of our generation. It’s mostly because he’s got such a damn refreshing personality.
Here are some links that help explain some of the awesomeness that is Larry Wayne Jones, Jr:.
- David Schoenfield says Jones is the second greatest third baseman of all time. And he can back it up.
- Rob Neyer on Chipper’s combination of quality and quantity.
- Matthew Pouliot thinks Jones is an easy first ballot Hall of Famer. If any BBWAA writer thinks otherwise, shame on them.
- Ben Duronio claims that Chipper was even better than Griffey. Can’t say I agree but it’s worth reading.
- David Lee puts Chipper’s greatness in context with some deeper numbers.
- Jeff Schultz says you should come out and enjoy Chipper’s last season. I know I will.
I actually got a chance to speak with Jones briefly before a game late in the 2006 season when I was a senior at Emory. I wrote for the school newspaper and somehow got a press pass to attend a game. I spoke with a lot of players and can remember verbatim the conversations I had with the likes of Chuck James.
But I don’t remember a word Jones said…only because I was in such awe. It’s been real Chipper.